Pageviews last month

Publishers/ Authors

I would be pleased to review any books, whether they be advance copies or old ones. If you would like me to review a book, feel free to email me at ashley2055@gmail.com or leave a comment on any of my posts.

I will also do giveaways on merchandise if you would be interested in giving away copies of books or other items.

Thank you for your time and interest!


Ashley C. Nicole-2011. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

July 19, 2011

Two Reviews for the Price of One!

So, I picked up a book in the bookstore a few weeks ago and didn't get around to reading it. When I was in the tiny book store at my local mall a week or so ago, I saw the sequel. It was hardcover, and I didn't want to spend the outrageous twenty bucks. But because it had been scuffed a little on the corners, it was marked down to $4.00! I bought it and decided to read both books. So, here's a double review for you guys.
Expect another one coming as soon as I get my hands on the last book! Also, guys, sorry there's no pictures! It's not letting me post them at the moment. :( I'll post pictures of the cover in my next post if it lets me!

Title: The Summer I Turned Pretty

Author: Jenny Han

Summary: Belly (Isabel) measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.


Stars: 4

Rate: 7


Pros: This book had really cute scenes that made me want my own summer romance, and I loved Belly's flashbacks of the past summers. The characters were all different and unique in their own special ways. I loved Jeremiah. He sounded so sweet!

Cons: Belly was a hard narrator to relate to at points, because she was immature. She had a selfish vibe that stayed throughout the story. While it was somewhat annoying, I got used to it and managed to move past it.

Overall Recommendation: This book is a good summer read for when you're sitting on the beach or on the plane ride to Florida. The story does have emotional, deep parts that may require some tissues, if you're like me. It was good story, though, overall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Title: It's Not Summer Without You

Author: Jenny Han

Summary: Belly, 16, lives all year for her summers at Cousins Beach. But when a family friend dies and the beach house tradition is threatened, she faces the season without her second family and without the boy she loves. In this follow-up to The Summer I Turned Pretty , Belly is still reeling from all that's happened since last summer. But mourning is even harder since Conrad has shut down, refusing to talk to Belly or anyone else. When he suddenly leaves school without explanation, his brother, Jeremiah, recruits Belly to help find and mend him. The trio find themselves at Cousins Beach after all, and the memories and feelings of the past come flooding back. Complicated and fragile, Belly's relationships with the two young men are put to new tests as she and Conrad come to terms with their relationship, and Belly and Jeremiah begin to build a romantic bond of their own.

Stars: 4.5

Rate: 8.5

Pros: This story was a good sequel. It had the obvious scenes that made me sigh in content, and then it had the parts that made my jaw drop. I fell in love with both of the boys and quickly picked which I wanted Belly to wind up with. I think Belly's choices with the boys and other topics were realistic enough to teenagers. There were things such as death, alcohol, romance and breaking rules . . . things that all people go through sooner or later.

Cons: Belly did grow up a little, and that was evident. Honestly, the only problem I had with this story was that it ended just when everything was coming together. The epilogue was confusing (as it was meant to be) and it made me feel like I was being left out of a secret, if you know what I mean.

Overall Recommendation: If you liked the first book, read this one. It was a good sequel and we all know we want to know which boy Belly falls in love with this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment