Pageviews last month

Publishers/ Authors

I would be pleased to review any books, whether they be advance copies or old ones. If you would like me to review a book, feel free to email me at ashley2055@gmail.com or leave a comment on any of my posts.

I will also do giveaways on merchandise if you would be interested in giving away copies of books or other items.

Thank you for your time and interest!


Ashley C. Nicole-2011. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

December 23, 2010

How Do I End My Novel?

Have you ever had trouble ending your novel, or even a short story? You're not the only one.
I don't know why, but I just cant seem to write an ending I am happy with. Every time I try to write the last chapters, it comes out stiff and I end up deleting it.

I've only written one full novel, but I do have the ending for another one planned. If it's a stand-alone book, my advice is to tie up all loose ends. Make sure all the questions (or most of them) have been answered. You don't want the ending to just be random fluff. Make it meaningful. If you feel that you can't get to the actual end without doing some explaining of other things first, then make two-three chapters, ending all of that. Don't spend too much time on one topic unless it was a big part in the novel. If you think that most of your topics could be explained and ended within a paragraph, it may be a good idea to have an epilogue. That's what I did for my one novel, Behind These Amber Eyes. (It's fully posted on inkpop if you want to take a look at the last chapter) Remember to add emotion. Like, if you're explaining how the main character was no longer close with an old friend, put something like, "Even though I knew we had our differences and just couldn't pretend anymore, I still missed all the parties and times we had. It was like a pinch in my heart when I saw how far apart we had drifted."

If you have a series going on, then you could always end it with a cliffhanger. It doesn't even have to be something like, "I screamed as a hand pulled me down. Then it went black." Just something like, "The past was for certain, but the future was unsure. So much could happen in the blink of an eye. Closing my eyes and feeling the warm air around me, I reminded myself to live in the present because you never know what tomorrow may bring." That gives a sense of suspense and mystery, but still ends things.

In closing, you want to make things short, but make sure to explain them. Leave a tiny bit of mystery if you can, just to let the reader imagine things on their own. If it's a series, then it's all right to let some questions unanswered. It'll bring the readers back for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thanks for the helpful guide! x

    And yes, it is a serise. I asked my friend to read through it for me, and she said she thought it was okay, which I guess is.... okay. So I will try and follow the tips you gave!

    Once again, thank you!

    ~ Hexen

    ReplyDelete